UPDATE: Christy is now unfortunately unable to attend Bookcamp. Apologies for any confusion this may cause. However we can confirm the awesome Matt Blackwood will be joining us on Friday. Thanks Matt!
Simon Groth caught up with director of Universe Creation 101, Christy Dena to talk about transmedia and Bookcamp. Christy will be a guest participant at Bookcamp 2012 in Brisbane on 28 September. Find out more about Bookcamp here.
Christy's advice for potential Bookcampers:
Be self driven and vote with your feet. If there's a session that's not working for you, that's fine, find another session. Follow exactly what you want to do. Treat it as something in which you can play with the day. Follow your interest and your curiosity. Take advantage of having great conversations with people rather than just sitting back and being told without the opportunity to talk about things. Everyone in the room has something wonderful to contribute.
Some of the projects Christy references:
- Gabriel Walsh's Hoarding Eleven - http://hoarding11.com/
- Vikram Seth's An Equal Music - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Equal_Music
- Tim Winton's Dirt Music - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirt_Music & more recently: http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/06/18/3527814.htm
- Cathy's Book - http://www.cathysbook.com/
Christy will be joined at Bookcamp by other guest participants:
- Sophie Cunningham, author and Chair of the Literature Board for the Australia Council
- Kate Eltham, incoming director of the Brisbane Writers Festival and founder of if:book Australia
- Emily Craven, author and creator of the Choose Your Own Adelaide Adventure project
- Virginia Murdoch, director of Inventive Labs and co-creator of Booki.sh
Want to join the conversation? Tickets to Bookcamp are free but places are limited so book now.